Sunday, May 10, 2015

Dare to Make a Difference Fundraiser

Today I drove to a town called Kill Devil Hills in Dare County, North Carolina, for the "Dare to Make a Difference" fundraiser to benefit the United States Equine Rescue League (USERL) and The Outer Banks Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA).

The two groups worked together to investigate, seize, and gain convictions on charges of animal cruelty against two horse owners in Wanchese. I saw before and after pictures at the fundraising event, and the difference in the horses after just a few months of good feed and proper care is amazing.

The Outer Banks Brewing Station hosted the event


Today's event was hosted at the Outer Banks Brewing Station. In return for a $15.00 donation I got a free drink, a small meal, a huge piece of cake, and entertainment by Bobby Plough, who plays acoustic guitar and sings a variety of country music, much of it with a horse-related theme. Bobby is a volunteer and long-time supporter of USERL. There were also pony rides and games for the children, a silent auction, door prizes, and a free gift for all mothers, since it was Mothers' Day.

Pony rides entertained the children and raised $3.00 per ride
Singer-songwriter Bobby Plough loves horses and loves to entertain a crowd
Many silent auction items had a horse theme

Even this beautiful cake had horses on it. Almost too pretty to cut!

I had the winning bid on a painting in the silent auction. I bought it because I thought my husband, Don, would like it. Lucky for me, he did. I was happy the money went to a good cause, too.

I snagged this pretty painting at the silent auction.

I wish there had been a bigger turnout. Horses are expensive to rescue, foster, and rehabilitate, and more people would have meant more money for the groups involved. The event was a success, however, raising over $1,200. I am happy I drove to KDH to support a worthy cause. Readers who wish to help can donate online and Mark "OBX Horses" in your comments.

Some of the event's hard-working volunteers; where were the crowds?

No comments:

Post a Comment