Sunday, April 20, 2014

Ford and Edison Winter Estates

Don and I spent a short vacation in Ft. Myers, Florida, over my spring break. Highlights were the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge and visiting the Edison and Ford Winter Estates. We also spent some time relaxing by the pool, which Don says he needs to do more often.

I didn't take any pictures of the wildlife refuge, mostly because we spent a lot of time there kayaking and I was afraid I'd get my electronics wet. But I took a lot of pictures at the Edison and Ford Estates. I will post a sample here. Don and I really enjoyed the visit and want to go back. Ford and Edison were neighbors in Florida and very close friends. It is very easy to walk from one property to the other.

Matt Andes, a site historian, plays a recording for us!

A 1929 Ford Model A

A 1917 Ford Model TT Truck
Statue of Henry Ford

Ford Model TT Truck

1919 Model T Ford
A view of Thomas Edison's Estate

The kitchen on the Ford or Edison winter estates

A statue of Edison under a Banyan tree. Edison tested many kinds of plants for potential industrial use.
Statue of Mina Miller Edison, Thomas Edison's Wife
Mina Edison installed this moonlight garden
Pretty view at the back of Mina Edison's Moonlight Garden
The Edison's Swimming Pool, One of the First in Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment