Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Day at the Knotts Island Peach Festival



This morning, Matthew and I drove about an hour over some very country but pleasant roads in nice weather to the Knotts Island Peach Festival in North Carolina. Knotts Island is the kind of place where everybody knows everybody else.  The peaches looked delicious, but we didn't buy any, because they were from South Carolina. We figured we'd buy when the local ones are available in a couple of weeks.

The peaches were gorgeous but from South Carolina

If these signs don't set your mouth to watering, I don't know what will!

 There weren't a lot of rides, but the kettle corn we had for lunch was good, and there was a fire truck to see, a swamp buggy and an air boat on display, and lots of booths where we could talk to vendors and purchase goods, including local preserves from Fresh Batch Jams, art, and hand crafts. I bought jam, a beautiful wooden bracelet, and a sign that says, "dance as if no one is watching," from Designs by Di. Di came all the way from Chincoteague, Virginia.

There were bouncy houses and this "train" ride for the young and the young at heart


While I really liked the polished agate stone wind chimes by Dakota Chimes of Newport News, Virginia, and the recycled art work by RdRC Upcycled Art, my budget didn't let me buy any. My favorite part of the event was the live music, which played continuously and was good. Much of it was gospel music.

RdRc Upcycled Art was so pretty, it was hard to imagine it was from re-purposed items

More Upcycled Art from RdRC Upcycled Art. She also makes "fish" and "flowers" from plastic bottles.

Diane Saul of Designs by Di chats with a customer. I purchased one of her quality signs. Many had beach themes.


On the way home, we stopped at Mermare's Cottage Farm, which I had heard about through Facebook, to get a tour of her farm and see some different breeds of chickens. Deborah, who owns the farm, was gracious enough to give us a personal tour. We saw some beautiful birds and some rare breeds that you don't often see in this area. I especially liked the Jubilee Orpingtons. She had two hens and a rooster. I wish I'd thought to take pictures! She promised to contact me when she has fresh honey in a couple of weeks, so maybe I'll bring my camera when I go back.

All in all, it was a great day. We came home tired and a little sunburned, but it was well worth the trip.

A Country Gospel Singer Entertained Us!
I'm sure glad we didn't need a swamp buggy to get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment